[Eug-lug] shell evilness

Patrick R. Wade prwade at oip.net
Thu Jul 6 12:26:13 PDT 2006

Fred James wrote:
> Patrick R. Wade wrote:
>
>> larry price wrote:
>>

>>> the disappearance of the -v option from other forms of date seems
>>> counterproductive.
>>>

>> Well, of course!  It's GNU, it needs to be gratuitously different!  Like
>> the lack of the -o option in ls to display filesystem flags, one of my
>> favorite GNU deletions!
>>

> Patrick R. Wade
> Sounds very FreeBSD centric to me - I have always found ls -o defined as
> (see below) - or did I misunderstand?

-o does do something in GNU ls, just something not very useful.  The
requirement to run

$ ls -l foo && lsattr foo

instead of

$ ls -ol foo

has annoyed me for a while, despite the fact that i began my *NIX life
with GNU utilities and came to BSD ones later.

--
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], 'Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right