[Eug-lug] printer and ethertalk

LinuxRocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Wed Jul 12 11:39:11 PDT 2006

Good morning, and thanks for comming out today on such a rainy day...
I'd like to begin todays talk with; oh, wait; oh, you were asking about
network printing on a mac... yeah, ive done that...

Im not a mac wiz by anymeans, infact, i pretty much disliked macs for a
long time, and found I could tolerate them around os 8/9, but have found
the newer OS X based pretty neat.

Ive setup printers with one mac using appletalk (I think thats what its
called...) a single cable to the printer from the computer (little round
din like connector). There are settings for your printer in the control
panel, and you need to tell it which port your printing to, and which
printer.

What you want to do is slightly different, but not too much. You want to
print from multiple sources to a single printer... which is totally
reasonable, and common.

You will physicly connect your printer, just like any other computer on
an ethernet network. your printer will become a computer on the network,
with an ip address(and hostname if you like).

I cant provide you with a step by step process, as the process would
likely be different than yours anyway (and its been too long since I did
it to remember the exact steps.)

You will ofcourse need some sort of network device to connect these
computers/printers. I'm ofcourse assuming your using 10/100/1G network
devices (with the plugs/jacks that look like large phone jacks/plugs,)
and that they are all connected with ethernet patch cables to some sort
of hub/switch/router.

Yes, I administer 2 macs, one a new little macmini, and an older os9
based iMac. both work great.

Jamie