[Eug-lug] Need a help with linux based kiosk in science museum

Shin Katsumata shinkat at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 20:22:33 PDT 2006

To Whom It May Concern:

I been trying to post this request for help on your message board, but
have not been very successful. I volunteered my time to setup
travelling exhibit kiosk for Discovery Center six years ago. The kiosk
has been running for five years with minimum problems (many time video
card came loose during the transportation). Last year, they had a
problem, but I could not spend any time to look at the kiosk, so they
setup another kiosk using Windows based computer. The kiosk failed
miserably, so few weeks ago I help them fix the problem (needed to run
fsck in single user mode and reconfigure X11 for a new monitor). It
was shipped to Science Factory Children's Museum. They are having
problem booting up the system. From their email description of
problem, I suspect it need fsck in single user mode again (They are
asking for install disks, so they can reinstall the software. Sounds
to me like a Windows user).

I'm hoping I can get someone with Linux knowledge take a look at the
computer and hopefully get it running. Is there anyone living in
vicinity of SFCM&P willing to volunteer his/her time to take a look at
the computer? If not, I will have to come up with another solution.

If anyone is willing, please contact me at shinkat-at-gmail.com.

Thank you for your help in advance,

--
Shin Katsumata