[Eug-lug] OpenOffice Writer what is the max number of Pages &

Neil Parker nparker at LLX.COM
Fri Jul 21 10:03:31 PDT 2006

\documentclass(euglugpost}
% The euglugpost document class is fictional, but could be created if
% necessary.  Doing so is beyond the scope of this message.
% We assume euglugpost includes appropriate definitions of the "quote"
% environment and the \signature command.
\begin{document}
\begin[Ralph Zeller]{quote}
You could learn latex and easily handle a file that size, including
indexing and pdf generation, on any five year old computer, or on most
ten year old computers.
\end{quote}

I'm all for \TeX and \LaTeX, but it must be acknowledged that the learning
curve is steep.  Creating a \TeX document is a lot like editing a raw
HTML file (you have to create all the markup tags manually), but a lot more
complicated, since there are hundreds of \TeX and \LaTeX commands, and a
powerful macro language you can use to create even more.

At the U of O, I wrote my dissertation in \LaTeX, because it had mathematics
in it, and \LaTeX does math beautifully.  But during the last month or so
of writing, I spent half my time tweaking the layout to make it compatible
with Graduate School formatting standards (none of \LaTex{}'s pre-supplied
formats came anywhere close to the U of O's dissertation format standards).

Besides, I don't think \TeX handles TIFFs.  Your graphics need to be in a
format recognized by your printer (e.g. PostScript for a PostScript printer,
or GIF or JPEG for PDF output).

And if the entire text of the document is already in OpenOffice format,
converting it to \LaTeX at this late stage would be trouble wrapped in a
headache wrapped in a pain in the butt.  Best to leave it in OpenOffice,
and continue working on making OpenOffice give you what you want.

If OpenOffice's PDF generation is failing, try choosing a PostScript
driver, and print to file.  Then use ps2pdf to convert the PostScript to
PDF.  (You may be able to do this in one step by printing to
\verb{|ps2pdf - outfile.pdf}).

\signature{Neil Parker}
\end{document}