[Eug-lug] The Future of EUGLUG

info at lanecrrc.org info at lanecrrc.org
Tue Jul 25 08:12:24 PDT 2006

The volunteers and staff at Computer Reuse and Recycling Center (CRRC) hope
there are be a discussion/commitment to get OSS out to our community
members. We have amble machines to be built, but, we have no support in
place for adopted machines. We need folks with expertise and the ability to
teach in an inclusive way to make OSS adoptions happen.

In the last two and a half years, we have given away over 1450 computers-20
of them were Linux machines. We have sold over 50 Linux machines in our
store, and probably sold 200+ white boxes for Linux installs. This is a SAD
total amount of OSS machines out in our community!

CRRC is moving to a 16,000 sq. ft space soon. All our programs will be
expanded. We are committed to EugLUG. Along with proving EugLUG with free
meeting space that is wireless and accessible, I would love to see EugLUG
make a commitment to build OSS systems for our community members and offer
training on how to use the boxes EugLUG builds.
Free Geek has abandoned the Freekbox build and is using an adapted Ubuntu
install. What could the brilliant minds of EugLUG come up with?

With the new space, we can offer some training opportunities-hopefully Steve
Day is still interested in playing with us!

Hope this perks some interest!
Lorraine