[Eug-lug] OSCON & OSCamp pre-report

Ben Barrett stircrazyben at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 08:58:52 PDT 2006

Howdy folks -- I'm up in Portland enjoying OSCON (or OSCamp, rather -- the
free and useful/collaborative part).
In short, it is Worth Doing, and I like it a LOT better than the top-down,
listen-to-me-cuz-I'm-a-BigWig, overpriced conference.
OSCamp, that is... ad-hoc topics & group discussions throughout each day of
this week, covering a fair amount of Mashups & Web API's, Perl, Ruby,
Drupal, FOSS & Politics, Identity (JanRain & others), and on and on.

Today is the last day for the con, camp, and exhibit hall, so if you've got
the time, inclination, and ability, please show up at the Portland
Convention Center (http://www.oregoncc.org/directions/directions.asp)

More links:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2006/
http://oscamp.org/

Oddly enough, the only Big Vendor to make a major appearance (I saw) in the
Camp area was Microsoft, who spoke to us about their Open Source Software
Labs.  There was a mixed response, as might be expected.  The individuals
who represented MS there were very receptive, patient with the inevitable
zealousness of OpenFans, and also had plenty to share about what MS is
currently doing and what they've got in the works.  I was disappointed to
see all the other Big Vendors apparently keep their distance from the truly
free and collaborative space of the Camp, seemingly preferring the top-down
safety of the Con.  :(  That'd be Postgres, MySQL, Fedora, etc.... IBM
didn't show up this year, oddly; I heard they backed out at the last minute.

I might be able to write more to this list later, but hopefully the
oscamp.org wiki will suffice if I do not.

cheerio,

    Ben