[Eug-lug] OSCON & OSCamp pre-report

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Fri Jul 28 16:55:55 PDT 2006

Yes, six Microsoft people came to OSCamp and had an open discussion.
The discussion was very lively - bordered on being too lively; but
overall it was excellent.  From it I concluded that:

    -  Microsoft (at least some elements of Microsoft) have concluded
       that Open Source can't be destroyed, so they want to work with
       the open community - and don't have any idea how to do it
       at this point.

    -  Microsoft has hired many true Open Source people and is doing
       significant Open Source work - altho they haven't and may never
       release much Open Source code.  On the other hand, they may well
       start playing fair with the Open Source Community by using
       standards and actually trying to make things work with Open Source
       Software or at least by not trying to screw things up.

    -  Microsoft is concerned about it's well described BAD reputation
       with IT people and with the Open Source Community and they want
       to repair it - if that is even possible.

    -  What I heard from Microsoft was basically positive; BUT:
       Microsoft must have many elements within the company who
       have no use for Open Source; and Microsoft has a long history
       of making partners when it needed them and stabbing them in
       back later on.

    -  Companies change.  IBM certainly has changed for the better.
       Maybe Microsoft will change for the better as well.  We
       should welcome their attempts to become more open or at least
       more tolerant of the Open Source Community; but we will also
       need to watch them closely for a long time.  I'm far from
       convinced that these changes will be completed and will be
       lasting.  Still, I'm willing to give them a chance.  That
       is only fair.

P.S.  Microsoft invited a lot of us out to dinner Thursday night.
The food, drink, and conversation was very good and pay for by
people who bought Windows licenses.

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist