[Eug-lug] Re: question for the fair folk?

Ben Barrett stircrazyben at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:15:15 PDT 2006

Isn't that good for business though?  (ie, so business would want to use it)
And, strings only gives you a hint, showing only ASCII set matches, right?

<rant>
Binaries can be obfuscated fairly easily, either to disguise original source
or to give false impressions... if you've been computing for 10+ years
you've seen this change immensely.
IMO it shows the shallowness of some engineering & product development
cycles to see any violations caught by strings but I am glad for it.  Those
lazy bums....
Someone should make a sourceforge [meta]project for analyzing proprietary
code to scan for possible license violations -- it seems like the only way
open source can keep up, since there's not as much money to pay both
engineers and lawyers to take up the task.
</rant>

Sorry I went all tangential again :P  and BTW, haven't seen any final or
best word on the MS/ODF code issue...

   Ben