[Eug-lug] Re: question for the fair folk?

mage at chromebob.com mage at chromebob.com
Tue Jul 11 14:12:00 PDT 2006

It really depends on a few things:

1) Is Microsoft distributing their code under their usual draconian EULAs?

2) Is Microsoft's work a derivative of the LGPL work, or does it simply link to it?

3) Are they including information that the code, or that parts of the code, is covered under the LGPL?

4) Are they making all LGPL parts readily available as a source-code download?

Pretty much, as long as they aren't claiming that the LGPL code, or derivatives of it, belong solely to them, then they are not afoul of the license.  That's the thing that is sucky about the LGPL and why Ricky Stallman has been trying to get people to stop using it for the last 6+ years.

Chris