[Eug-lug] Any Experience(s) w/ Peak.org WiFi?

jeffw at pdxlug.org jeffw at pdxlug.org
Fri Jul 21 11:35:17 PDT 2006

Greetingz Eugeniez!

We'll be relocating to Albany and are considering forgoing Qwest's DSL
offerings in exchange for Peak.org's Wifi services.  Our new home will be
~4.5 miles to their Knox Butte transmitter and I believe we've got a
relatively clear line of sight.  Peak Internet uses an EnGenius radio but
I don't yet know what kind of antenna would be used.  I'm thinking of just
buying the equipment online but I'd like to hear from folks actually using
Peak's Wifi, things like  obstacle problems, performance issues, up vs.
down rates, etc.  Also would appreciate any guidelines for selecting an
antenna.  Some of the EnGenius units come with integrated panel antennas;
would these work at a distance of ~5 miles (unit of interest is rated 400mW
w/ a 16dBi integrated panel antenna; see ref URL below ).  My uneducated
guess would be no - probably need a dish or directional antenna.  These
things double as outdoor access points, panels are probably intended for
creating access "zones" instead of just big "clouds", no?

Cheers,
Jeff

ref: EOC-3220+  802.11 b/g wireless Client Bridge/Access Point
http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/products/details.aspx?id=173