[Eug-lug] OSCON & OSCamp pre-report - More on OSCAMP

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Sun Jul 30 21:56:55 PDT 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Ben Barrett wrote:

> Thanks for the great summaries, David!! ...

You are welcome.

> As for OSCamp being new -- I thought this was simply the first time
> O'Reilly embraced it ...

This is the first time we had OSCAMP.  However, there have been other
things in the past.

PLUG and I have always actively worked with O'Reilly to try to make
something available for people who can't afford the complete OSCON,
and O'Reilly has always been very helpful.  Like the rest of us
the O'Reilly people have to make a living, but they also want to
help the Open Source Community and they realize that many people
can't afford to pay very much money and that some of these people
can add a lot of value to OSCON by being there.

As a result, OSCON has opened some keynotes, the vendor displays,
and the BOF sessions to everyone for several years now and they
have always been generous with booth space for .orgs.  They have
also experimented with volunteers and such in the past.

Last year, FOSCON (Free OSCON) was started and held at FreeGeek.
It wasn't really embraced by O'Reilly, but they weren't really invited
to be part of it either.  During the year, O'Reilly attended the
RecentChangesCamp where some of us discussed OSCON fringe activities
and O'Reilly said they wanted to be included in them.  OSCAMP was a
result of this.  Meanwhile, FOSCON-II was held at FreeGeek again this
year and I believe it was a success.

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist