[Eug-lug] OpenOffice Document - Linux <---> Mac OS X file exchange Heads Up

Harald Sundt h_sundt at mailhost.efn.org
Mon Jul 31 17:08:23 PDT 2006

OpenOffice Document -  Linux <---> Mac OS X file exchange Heads Up

If you work mostly in a Mac OS X environment, you may be largely
unaware of Unix/Linux conventions in file management.

I have had a failure in Open Office when I tried to save documents
ported in a file which was itself in a folder copied onto a flash ram
device and ported to my Linux Laptop.

The Error Message made it look like a likely KDE failure. It was not.

You see, a single user on a Mac OS X Box doesn't necessarily "know"
he or she is "running as Root". A folder copied and ported has "root"
permissions. If you are running as a User on your Linux Machine, as
is a good Unix Box habit, the "root" file permissions will deny you
permission to save an opened file.

The fix is to open a Root File Browser window and set permissions to
yourself as a User.  Only a Dumb long time Mac Guy like me would be
stymied a whole month by such a silly newbie goof up.    GRIN
--
This human life,
like a butterlamp set out in the wind -

Jikdel Yeshe Dorje - The 2nd Dudjom Rinpoche