[Eug-lug] OpenOffice Document - Linux <---> Mac OS X file exchange Heads Up

T. Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Mon Jul 31 17:17:15 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 05:08:23PM -0700, Harald Sundt wrote:
> You see, a single user on a Mac OS X Box doesn't necessarily "know"
> he or she is "running as Root". A folder copied and ported has "root"
> permissions. If you are running as a User on your Linux Machine, as
> is a good Unix Box habit, the "root" file permissions will deny you
> permission to save an opened file.

Uhh..

tjcarter at miya:~$ id
uid=501(tjcarter) gid=501(tjcarter) groups=501(tjcarter),
81(appserveradm), 79(appserverusr), 80(admin)

That's not root.

I can sudo, and I can make root a valid login account, but my single user
isn't root.  I have no idea what you're doing to get root permissions when
you copy a file over, but it ain't MacOS X's fault the file is read-only
other than for root when you do it.