[Eug-lug] Linux- Mac OS X file exchange: This sounds right

Allen Brown abrown at peak.org
Mon Jul 31 21:48:46 PDT 2006

Here is one way to do it.

/etc/fstab:
   /dev/sda1   /media/flash1     auto    noauto,user,owner    0 0

Of course this means I have to explicitly mount it.  But
when I do, *I* own it, not root.

It is tempting to also use nosuid, but there is a warning on
the mount page.
   nosuid Do  not allow set-user-identifier or set-group-identifier
          bits to take effect. (This seems safe,  but  is  in  fact
          rather unsafe if you have suidperl(1) installed.)

What the heck is that?  I don't seem to have it installed,
but this makes me nervous because I wouldn't necessarily
notice if it came in along with a bunch of other stuff
in an apt-get.
--
Allen Brown  abrown at peak.org  http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
   "Prohibition" was a sin tax error.